Saturday 5 April 2014

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery



I am a starter, but I am definitely not a finisher.

On my bedroom wall I have a list of all the projects I have started or joined in the last 12 months or so. There are 11 official entries:

1) My job hunting website idea I Don't Want a Desk Job (complete with half started blog, business plan and investor guide)
2) my book and the hashing out of the plot
3) my photo business CanDo Photography and the 3 derivatives thereof
4) my business contribution to CamperStar
5) my participation in the fundraising committee for Suited to Success
6) my hosting status as the Brisbane Girl Gone International representative
...you get the idea.

People tend to admire, even envy, my ability to come up with ideas. That may sound vain, and maybe it is, but to me ideas are everywhere. Everywhere! My mind constantly whirrs with little snippets of information that often come together to show me a new way of looking at something. A new opportunity. A better way of doing a task. A novel attraction. Did I mention I have so far built two of the 26 letters of the alphabet out of ply wood and made mini golf courses out of them? I have.

The letter I


I want all my half started ideas to become great successes. Really truly. Unfortunately I am plagued by Post Idea Depression or PID. Similar to Post Natal Depression in which the mother fails to bond with her child, I similarly fail to see the value in my idea a few days after it has been spawned. It is devastating and debilitating and I don't know what to do about it.

Well, I do. I just - oh I have another idea! Listen to this!

And so it goes.

Just yesterday I started another new thing. I am calling it 12) Now Hiring: Minister for Women Job Application Challenge. It sprung from the deeply disgruntled blog draft I started a week ago and, predictably, never published. The post focussed on activism, and why protesting 21st century issues using 20th century ideas is basically dead energy (there, I said it). The project itself is to get a woman in to the role of Federal Minister for Women. Can you believe this is something we need to campaign for?! WTF doesn't even begin to explain where my boggled mind is at on this one. Anyway, I am still in the honeymoon phase. I still love the idea and I'm anxious about the come down.

So here is my plan to see this idea through:

I am having knee surgery next week. I won't be able to work and I definitely won't be able to walk for a good week afterwards. I am going to work on my latest idea, Minister for Women, all week. Even if I end up hating it and thinking it's the dumbest thing ever, I am going to work on it ALLL WEEEK.

Any support or tips much appreciated.

Please let me know if you too suffer from PID. I can't be the only one.


Ps. In case you were curious what the rest of my uncompleted projects are, here you go:

7) Build an alphabet mini golf course
8) Study for my Masters of Sustainability part time
9) Keep a visual record of all street art I see on my Facebook page Street Art Curator
10) Finish my correspondence interior design course
11) Complete the knotted rug made from old t-shirts I started for my lounge room







No comments:

Post a Comment