Thursday 10 April 2014

Part 1: Before


A few days ago, I was trying not to be a burden.

I thought I would be all cool to get myself to the hospital, check myself in, wait around by myself for hours, then finally follow the nurse in to the theatre waiting room and have knee surgery, all by myself.

I really honestly thought it would be better for me to slug it out solo and try and be brave about it, than ask my Mum, my brother, my friends or anyone to help me out. They're busy people, and I hate to make other people change plans around me.

Reading that last paragraph back to myself I realise two things: first, that I am unbelievably independent, to the point where it's a negative, and second, that I'm very glad my bestie told me to call my Mum the other night.

You win that round D.

Right now I am waiting for my Mum to come and pick me up and take me to the hospital. She's going to wait with me and be there when I wake up too. I don't feel like a burden any more, because really, I was a bit scared of doing it alone.

Being an inconvenience sucks, but I am going to have to get used to it because after the knee op, I won't be doing much by myself at all. Just going to the kitchen to make a cup of tea will be an extremely taxing effort. No independent tea making for a few weeks then.

Part two later today - off to the hospital for me!







No comments:

Post a Comment